Yes, another zucchini recipe. But this one is just TOO GOOD not to share with you. Even my husband (who doesn’t like chocolate) couldn’t get enough of this cake.
It reminds of me of an Oreo after its been soaked in milk.
The best part of this recipe is that is helps to use up garden surplus of zucchini, uses less oil than a standard brownie or cake and is egg free! I cant necessarily say that it is healthy (especially after you put the frosting on) but maybe it is healthier?
Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cake
1/2 c. oil
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 c. flour
1/2 c. Hershey’s Dark Chocolate cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 c. shredded zucchini
6 Tbs. Hershey’s Dark Chocolate cocoa powder
1/4 c butter
4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Start by mixing together the oil, sugar and vanilla extract.
3. Slowly add in the cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and zucchini.
4. Lastly, work in the flour a cup at a time. The mixture will seem VERY dry, however once the zucchini lets its water out the mixture will start to resemble a cake batter. Just keep stirring and working it together until this happens.
5. Once the mixture resembles a batter, pour it into a 9×13″ greased glass dish.
6. Bake 20-25 minutes or until done.
1. While your cake is cooling, add your butter and cocoa to a small saucepan over low heat. Allow to cool slightly.
2. Mix together the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour in the chocolate mixture and stir. If your frosting is too runny, add more confectioners sugar until it reaches your desired consistency.
3. Pour over cake and refrigerate.
I like to store this cake in the fridge. It keeps better.
Dick and Jane