Disclosure: This article has been compensated by SEARS.
When did saving money lose it’s thrill? I can answer that – when I no longer had the time to make it happen. As a busy mom and circus rangler (feels like it sometimes, doesn’t it?), I’ve learned that it’s usually easier for me to trade in monetary gain to save a bit of time. Although, what if there was an easy way to save money while you shop? Would you do it then? Today we are talking with money saving expert, Nicole Lapin, about the five easy ways she recommends to shop smarter.
What would you do with a little extra $$?
If someone walked up to you today and offered you a few bucks with no strings attached, you would probably take it wouldn’t you? Who couldn’t use free money? However, many times we choose not to make use of money-saving techniques like rewards programs or discounts with the retailers we shop at. How much are we really missing out on? That’s something to think about.
Now before you start yelling at me that you simply don’t have the time to coupon, I get it. I really don’t have the time either. If I have to sit down and cut coupons or spend tons of time researching just to get a good deal, it’s usually not worth it to me. I have so many other things that I need to get done instead.
Maybe it’s my lack of time for saving money that attracted me to this interview with Nicole Lapin so strongly? After all, she is a financial journalist, author, tv personality, and a single woman rocking life in New York. With all of that going on, I don’t know how she finds the time to save money either. But she does.
I don’t know about you but I would actually love to learn a few new techniques to save money. Let’s jump right in and take a look at Nicole’s five easy recommendations.
Nicole Lapin’s 5 Money-Saving Tips for Shopping Smarter
- If your favorite retailer offers a free loyalty rewards program, join it! It might seem very Captain Obvious, but you can’t enjoy the perks if you’re not a member of the club. Free rewards programs are the best way to ensure you’re first in line for merchandise exclusives and savings (which is especially helpful when you’re looking to buy those bigger household items). Programs like the Sears’ Shop Your Way program give back at least 1% in points value with each purchase, plus surprise points throughout the year. It’s like discovering free money in your wallet!
- Celebrate the shopping “holidays”. Sales happen all the time – but not all sales are created equal. Plan out your shopping spree like a boss by recognizing the best time to buy. This not only saves you money but can double or even triple your points value. If you’re itching to get some spring shopping done, make sure to mark your calendar for Sears Days, March 26th to April 8th. Discounts and deals will be offered in every department, from appliances to spring fashion and more. Plus, Shop Your Way members can earn more rewards during the event!
- When it comes to points, use them or lose them. Points are like vacation days – you’ve earned them, so use them! People lose out on thousands of dollars each year in unredeemed loyalty points. With the Sears’ Shop Your Way program, the points are linked to your account and can be used anytime, on any purchase. It’s a no-brainer.
- You should choose your reward; not the other way around. A retail loyalty program is only as good as its perks, so you might as well join one that rewards you where you actually shop, right? The Sears Shop Your Way marketplace lets you earn qualifying points not only at Sears, Kmart, and Sears Auto Center, but also with such partners as Uber, Groupon, Hilton, and hundreds more!
- Take advantage of deals online and in-store. With life moving so fast, sometimes it’s hard to plan whether or not you’ll get a chance to stop by a store. Since Sears offers seamless integration between the in-store, mobile, and online shopping experiences, you know you’re getting the best deal whether you’re logged in or stopping by in person.
Enter to win a $100 gift card to Sears
Wow, what a great list of ideas from Nicole, right? I think that I’ve learned quite a few things to get me started and I now know that shopping with Sears during their Sears Days promotion is a great place to start. Just a reminder from what she said, the promotion runs Sunday, March 26th through Saturday, April 8th and Shop Your Way members can save both money and earn more points to spend on their next purchase. Shop both in store or at Sears.com – it’s easy!
What tips from Nicole do you plan to implement into your life? How do you think you will benefit from doing this? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments.
Wait! Before you go, Sears has graciously offered to send one of my readers a $100 gift card to use at their store! How crazy cool, right? Simply enter below and best of luck!