Recently, I was given the opportunity to attend the International Home and Housewares show in Chicago. This industry only preview was teeming with some of the hottest upcoming brands and products ready to hit the market this year. What are people going ga-ga over? I was surprised to find out – especially since I’d never even remotely heard of it before!
International Home and Housewares Show | Chicago 2017
The International Home and Housewares show is an industry-only event where brands, buyers, and the media come together to learn about new products and also see what could be coming up on the horizon. I was lucky enough to score an invite to this event in Chicago and couldn’t wait to check it out for the first time! Imagine walking into a giant building filled to the brim with home and houseware designs, cooking demonstrations, brand representatives ready to answer questions, and a revolving door of food based celebrities. There was no way I was going to miss this!
Throughout the convention center, brands both big and small set up elaborate booths to showcase their newest products. Walking the aisles, it was difficult to get very far because I kept being drawn in by the next big thing after another. With each new product, my mind raced with possibilities. What dilemma would this address in my life? How could this product be introduced into my life to make it better? Where had this product been all my life?
Some of the products were mind-blowing, others a nice improvement on something I’d been doing for years. Mentally I was making a Christmas list for myself and these were my favorites broken down into the categories of Do It Yourself, Retro Style Products, Travel Necessities, Eco-Friendly, and Family Fun.
The following list contains Amazon affiliate links for easy shopping. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!
28 Home and Houseware Products You Don’t Want to Miss
While there were many more products to see than just what is listed, these were my favorites. Which products would you consider buying?
Most Loved Do-It-Yourself Products
- An at-home brewing system! This is a kick-starter product that can help you easily brew beer, Kombucha, or cook sous vide all through a countertop system. The beer cartridges, which contain the hops, come in several different flavor combinations. You can also go online to custom design your own brewing cartridge and have it shipped to your home.
- Bibo® is a counter-top machine that creates mixed cocktails at home. Just add a flavored cartridge, water, and you’ve got a bar worthy drink in mere seconds. This product is great for entertaining!
- Making yogurt at home is something I have always wanted to do. With the help of this machine from Gourmia®, I can actually make that happen.
- As soon as I met this company, I fell in love with them. With Farm Steady, you can learn to create things like sauerkraut, fresh cheese, bagels, and more. This company thrives on the grounds of using fresh ingredients to create items more commonly bought processed at the store.
Most Loved Retro Style Products
- Smeg had me drooling from the moment I set eyes on its booth. Everything they had, I wanted. Fridges, toasters, ovens, blenders. Smeg is all things 1950’s and it’s amazing.
- Of course, you probably think of Pyrex® when you think of vintage home and housewares because it’s been around for such a long time. What I love most, however, is that Pyrex® is bringing back some of those most loved designs. The designs I remember seeing as a kid can be bought brand new again.
- This booth surprised me with their throwback designs in the “Order’s Up” line, but I honestly couldn’t get enough! Diner themed housewares – yes, please!
- Who couldn’t use a drawer full of kitchen gadgets? Westmark has everything you would need to get your kitchen started. Plus the packaging is all 1950’s.
Most Loved Travel Products
- I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten to a hotel and found no iron in my room. Or what about camping? Definitely no iron there! For this reason, you can image my excitement when I found this travel iron and case at the Rowenta booth. It just makes sense.
- There are times when I want hot coffee and times when I want a cold beverage – Tervis holds them both making this the one and only cup I need to travel with. Plus, they come in several different designs – some travel related as well.
- Corelle serving dishes aren’t something I’d travel with, but something that would remind me of travel while staying at home. The designs are fresh, cultural, and everything that I love.
- meori® struck a cord with me because they are so versatile. These collapsable boxes can be used to store groceries, snacks for a long road trip, or anything that needs hauling. What I really love is the capability of turning them into coolers to take to the beach. There is a lot going on here and I think we will see big things from them.
Most Loved Eco-Friendly Products
- These beautiful bowls are made from maple wood fibers. They are also resistant to breaking, making them a great choice for my home!
- As I walked past this booth, I was eagerly brought back by the smell and design of these candles. These beautiful candles are poured into reclaimed wine or alcohol bottles and made with 100% biodegradable vegetable coconut wax. I want them all.
- This company is a love project born out the need to keep waste out of the oceans and lakes. The owner believes that any small change can help and each switch to reusable snack or sandwich bags can help.
Most Loved Fun Products
Joie – MSC International
- The products from Joie shop easily made me smile. Who doesn’t love pic, flower, or frog themed items for their home?
- Of course, I love all things brightly colored and this product like called Squish has it right! Also, all of the products “squish” into themselves making them perfect for small house or apartment living (or travel).
- This company makes things smell fun! My favorites were the pencils and the pillows (cupcake or jelly donut for sure!)
- Zak!® Designs understands that there is still a kid somewhere within us all. Their fun designs come in a ton of different characters, with new ones added frequently.
Can you see why I loved this show so much? All of these amazing brands, plus more, under one roof!
Plus, I got the chance to meet some amazing people:
What product do you love? Tell me in the comments.