Lasagna has got to be the most versatile dinner option ever. All you need to know is the basic for preparing it and you can swap out the ingredients over and over. No two lasagnas are the same. For instance some nights I will make our lasagna with sausage meat, other nights with spinach and carrots, and some nights with chicken. There is no end to the possibilities when it comes to lasagna.
This was also the very first meal I learned to prepare as a newlywed. I felt so accomplished to have made a homecooked meal. It was so easy and a great starter dish to learn.
In order to get started making homemade lasagnas you will need to know the basics.
8 oz. Ricotta Cheese
hand full of Parmesan Cheese
1 bag Mozzarella Cheese
*NOTE: Below are the basic directions. Feel free to add ingredients that you like (i.e. meat, veggies) into the sauce before making your lasagna. Then you can proceed with instructions below.
– Begin by preparing your cheese mixture. Combine 8 oz of Ricotta cheese, a handful of Parmesan cheese and a handful of mozzarella cheese in a bowl. Mix until combined.
– Spread a spoonful of sauce on the bottom of a large glass baking dish. Lay out a single layer of uncooked lasagna noodles to cover the sauce on the bottom of the dish.
– Spread a spoonful of cheese mixture on top of the dry noodles. Cover again with sauce and repeat. Sauce, noodles, cheese mixture until you reach the top of the dish.
– Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove the foil top with remaining shredded mozzarella cheese and bake another 15 mintues.
– Be sure to test your noodles with a fork for doneness. They need to be soft. If they are still hard, continue cooking with foil on until they are fork tender.
This is one of those meals that you can have fun with. Here is a list of optional additional ingredients.
– Ground Beef
– Green Peppers
Hopefully this list will just get you thinking. However the possibilities are endless! You can also change up the sauce types. I typically use a marinara sauce, but you could make yours with a fettuccine sauce or pesto sauce, really any style you prefer.
If you have a ingredients that you love to combine, share it with us! Just leave it in the comments section. We always read all of our comments. Thanks!
<3 Dick and Jane