Comfort food at it’s best! This happens to be one of my favorite retro recipes – a baked macaroni and cheese recipe that is topped in salted crackers. This ooey, gooey recipe isn’t hard to re-create and works well as a side dish or add a little bit of chicken and bacon to let it stand alone.
To keep it short and sweet – just as I like my Monday’s – here is how it’s made:
Homemade 3 Cheese Mac-N-Cheese
- 1 box (8 oz) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 full sleeve salted crackers – crushed
- Cook the macaroni according to the packaging – remove from heat right before the pasta is al dente.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, whisk in the flour until combined then slowly add in the milk to create a rue.
- Add all three cheeses into the rue and reduce the heat to medium – low. Stir continuously until the cheese has completely melted.
- Stir the paprika into the cheese mixture.
- Add the cooked macaroni into a greased 9 x 13 glass dish.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the top and bake at 350 degree for 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes, top the macaroni and cheese in crushed crackers and bake for another 10 minutes or until browned.
- Serve warm.