Aren’t these cute? I mean, what’s better than marshmallow, rice cereal, and chocolate paired together? Not only that, but they’re super easy and quick to make! I made these ones with my kids this week! Plus, after they’re cooled, just pop them on a stick and they’re perfect for sharing or enjoying on the go. I think I’m in love.
Do You Celebrate Valentines Day?
To be honest, I’m really not a big fan of the day. I don’t expect lavish gifts, dinner at expensive restaurants, or anything done for me that isn’t done on a typical Tuesday just because it’s a “special day”. So that’s where things get sticky for me with this holiday. Celebrating love? Of course! Anything that encourages people to show love, kindness, and appreciation to others is welcome in my life – but it’s welcome any day of the year.
Personally, I like to surprise people with special moments when the moment arrives. Maybe it’s picking up someone’s favorite meal for dinner, putting gas in the car so someone else doesn’t have to do it later, giving a little hug, a kiss, or planning a special day just because. These are the things I tend to focus on.
Even though I feel myself cringe at the thought of a holiday that makes peoples feel obligated, my kids wanted to make something that they could share with others for the holiday. Perfect opportunity to spend some time together in the kitchen!
Because my kids are at the age where they like to do mostly everything themselves, we kept this recipe idea short and simple.
Heart Shaped Marshmallow Treats
Here’s what we used:
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- 6 cups rice cereal
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 bag melting chocolate
- treat sticks
- decorative items (such as sprinkles, candy eyes, ect)
- First, melt the butter on med/low heat.
- Stir in the marshmallows until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in cereal.
- Pour cereal mixture into a 9×13 greased pan. Flatten mixture out across the bottom (I use a greased piece of wax paper to help flatten).
- Wait 15-20 minutes or until cooled.
- Carefully flip the cooled mixture onto a level space and use a greased cookie cutter to remove shapes.
- Place the shapes on a stick, then decorate with melted chocolate (prepare per bag instructions).
We decided to wrap a few of our treats up in food safe bags to share with others, then a few of them went into a marshmallow filled cup for a fun edible display. But that didn’t last long! Yum!
Disclosure: Amazon affiliate links were used in this post. Clicking on a link to make a purchase will result in a small percentage of earned fees for our site. Thank you for your support.